Removal of Conditions

Getting your permanent green card

After you've applied a green card based on your marriage to an American citizen and have been granted it, in most cases the immigrant will receive a green card that expires in 2 years. At the end of the two years, you must prove that your relationship is still continuing and legitimate. The process is called "removal of conditions".

The removal of conditions process is very similar to the process that you initially went through to get your green card to begin with. 

Basically, what you have to do is send a different type of application with more evidence showing that your relationship is still continuing and legitimate. If you get through that process, you get a green card that's good for ten years and your status is no longer connected at all to your marriage. You are just a permanent resident like anyone else.

Most people do not have to go through another marriage interview during this process; however, if you are called for an interview when you apply, it means that something might be wrong. Get a lawyer to assist you because if you fail to pass the removal of conditions stage, the government will try to deport you.

If your marriage ends before the two-year mark, you are at risk for losing your green card. Fortunately, there are some exceptions for some cases. If this has happened in your case, consult a lawyer to build a case for a waiver of the joint filing requirement. You can obtain a waiver if you have been abused by your spouse, or you have gotten divorced despite your best effort to work things out, or if your spouse has passed away.

Get A Free Case Review

It's stressful and hard enough to be separated from the ones you love. Don't allow Immigration Law to add to that burden. We have been where you are and want to help you. Let us help carry the weight of what life has thrown at you.